Website WEST COVINA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT (WCUSD)
Under the direction of assigned administrator, assist certificated teachers or specialists in performing a wide variety of services associated with the special education instructional program in the classroom and other locations in the school. Instructional assistants in this assignment spend the major portion of their
time working independently with pupils in small groups, tutoring on a one-to-one basis, assisting in the physical care of the students, and assisting students with personal hygiene and self-help skills.
- Provide services directly to pupils by assisting with their learning assignments usually in a selfcontained program
- Tutor students with supervised reading, review of lessons, clarification of concepts, and direct small group activities
- Consult with and receive instruction from certificated teachers or specialists related to the needs of special education students
- Maintain minimal records related to student work and classroom activities; monitor progress of students toward IEP goals
- Assist with student personal hygiene and grooming needs, including toilet training and changing diapers and clothes in the event of accidents
- Assist students with eating and other personal physical needs
- Assist students in accessing and departing school sites; assist students in the utilization of the school site facilities
- Assist certificated teachers in the implementation of a functional skills curriculum specially designed for student with moderate/severe disabilities
- Assist students to be self-reliant, relate to individuals and groups who are not handicapped, and to learn how to sequence tasks
- Education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school and at least one year of experience in working with students with disabilities in an organized setting.
- Must demonstrate proficiency in basic reading, writing, and mathematics skills by passing the District Instructional Assistant Proficiency examination.
- Copy of High School Diploma required/or college transcripts.
- General needs and behavior of children
- Basic subjects including arithmetic, reading, writing, grammar and spelling
- Correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary
- Safe practices in the classroom
- Classroom procedures and appropriate student conduct
- Problems and concerns of students with special needs
- Basic instructional methods and techniques
- Operation of standard office equipment, including computer
- Basic record-keeping techniques
- First Aid and CPR
Company: WEST COVINA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT (WCUSD)
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: West Covina, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A