Website Commonwealth of Virginia
The Virginia Department of Forensic Science, Division of Technical Services, DNA Data Bank, is seeking a qualified applicant to independently perform sample accessioning and scientific analyses on DNA Data Bank samples. Duties include high throughput buccal sample accessioning, data entry and communicating with user agencies regarding samples and the DNA Data Bank Sample Tracking System. Duties also include DNA isolation and PCR-based STR fluorescence imaging analysis using state-of-the-art analytical methodologies, techniques, and instrumentation, interpreting results, and conducting independent technical review of data. This position is subject to working in high security areas governed by the US Department of Justice’s “Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Security Policy”.
Applicants needing accommodations should contact the Human Resource office at 804.786.0150 or [email protected] for additional information.
This website will provide a confirmation of receipt when the application is submitted for consideration.
Auxiliary Aids and Services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.
Please refer to your RMS account for the status of your application and this position.
- This position requires Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN) certification, and the employee must obtain such certification as soon as practical. The VCIN system is administered by the Virginia State Police. In order to qualify for VCIN certification, the State Police require that those individuals must be U.S. citizens or must have lawfully resided in the U.S. for the past 10 consecutive years.
- Ability to maintain accurate records, analyze and interpret data, follow written protocols and oral instructions, manage multiple tasks efficiently, establish work priorities, and independently perform routine duties
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner, both verbally and in writing
- Knowledge of laboratory safety and QA/QC procedures
- Valid driver’s license and/or other means of reliable transportation
Qualification & Experience:
College courses (graduate or undergraduate level) totaling a minimum of nine cumulative semester hours with genetics, biochemistry, and molecular biology (molecular genetics or recombinant DNA technology) as the main topics, as well as college course work in statistics and/or population genetics
Experience with sample accessioning/data entry in a laboratory environment
B.A./B.S. degree in biology, chemistry, forensic science, or related scientific field
Experience handling biological samples in a scientific laboratory
Company: Commonwealth of Virginia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Richmond, VA, US
Application Deadline: N/A