Website City of Stockton
This is the entry-level class in the Fire Prevention Inspector series. Initially under close supervision, incumbents perform the more routine inspection duties while learning City policies and procedures, applicable codes, and specific methods and requirements for fire prevention inspection and enforcement. This class is alternately staffed with Fire Prevention Inspector II, and incumbents may advance to the higher level after successfully completing a one-year probationary period and gaining experience and demonstrating proficiency that meets the qualifications for the higher level class.
- Conducts inspections of new construction and fire protection systems and periodic inspections of commercial, industrial, and other facilities to ensure compliance with fire, life safety, and related codes and ordinances.
- Prepares detailed reports on conditions and violations and conducts follow-up inspection as required.
- Investigates complaints regarding fire hazards, hazardous materials problems, and related violations.
- Advises developers, contractors, property owners, and the public in matters related to fire prevention, code enforcement, and hazardous materials storage and disposal.
- Interprets codes and regulations and explains permit programs and compliance conditions.
- Coordinates fire prevention inspection work with that of building inspection, safety, public health, and related City and local agency services.
- Reviews applications and issues permits for fuel storage, hazardous materials storage and disposal, and specified warehousing activities.
- Assists in developing programs and conducts on-site training in schools, hospitals, and various public locations.
- Observes, tests, and demonstrates use of various fire protection and detection systems and equipment and fire extinguishers.
- Utilizes computer software to record and track inspections on line; prepares a variety of specialized records, reports, and correspondence related to the work.
- Must possess a valid Class C California driver’s license by time of appointment, which must be maintained as a condition of employment.
- Must successfully complete the State Fire Marshal Inspector Certification program as a condition of continuing employment.
- Must possess the physical characteristics to perform the critical and important duties of the job, including sufficient mobility and stamina to inspect industrial/commercial and/or other facilities or establishments, including walking over a variety of terrain, bending, climbing, stooping, and kneeling.
- Must be willing to work in both indoor and outdoor environments and around a variety of chemicals.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
Company: City of Stockton
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Modesto, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A