Website California State Parks
Under supervision of the Senior Environmental Scientist (Supervisory), the Agricultural Technician I, performs duties of average difficulty in regard to the monitoring and treatment activities for the Cotton Pest Control Program. These positions are located in Blythe, California.
- Assemble delta-shaped insect sticky traps for use in pink bollworm detection.
- Participate in limited boll collection and inspection activities for the cotton seed bug survey.
- Record the number of trap or survey sites visited each day.
- Drive to specific cotton sites and collect cotton plants for silver leaf whitefly (SLWF).
- Prepare traps for SLWF.
- Examine collected cotton leaves for the SLWF.
- Package up collected cotton bolls and suspect specimens.
- Record the presence or absence of armyworm, mites, aphids, honeydew, and sooty mold.
- Inspect all serviceable PBW traps (30-60 traps) daily for suspected specimens.
- Establish specified pink bollworm (PBW) trapping zones according to Program protocols.
- Record all PBW trap service data and update cotton maps.
- Complete daily trapping and survey reports to the Agricultural Pest Control Supervisor and/or the Environmental Scientist.
- Two seasons of experience (approximately six months) in growing, harvesting, grading, packing, sorting, loading, buying, selling, or the inspection and certification of fruits, vegetables, or other agricultural commodities
- Eighteen months of experience in inspection or quality control of fruits, vegetables, grain, or livestock; environmental monitoring, biological control, insect control and eradication, or pest management work.
- Two years of college study with a major in plant or animal science, biology, or entomology may be substituted for a maximum of 12 months of experience.
Company: California State Parks
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Riverside, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A