State of Louisiana
Louisiana Department of
Public Safety & Corrections –
Rayburn Correctional Center
THIS POSITION WILL BE FILLED AS A PROBATIONAL APPOINTMENT
or PROMOTION OF A PERMANENT CLASSIFIED EMPLOYEE
OF LOUISIANA STATE GOVERNMENT (State Employee)
SALARY DEPENDENT ON QUALIFICATIONS
Practical Nurse-Licensed 1 has an SER of $19.48 per hour.
Practical Nurse-Licensed 2 has an SER of $20.84 per hour.
Practical Nurse-Licensed 3 has an SER of $22.30 per hour.
‘Premium Pay’ paid in addition to regular pay for qualifying conditions:
Why work for DOC?
- Culture: DOC values and supports employees through numerous recognition programs, creating a sense of community, prioritizing internal promotional opportunities, clear communication, and professional development.
- Growth: Professional growth is encouraged at DOC through numerous avenues.
- Benefits: DOC offers a generous benefits package including; a defined benefit pension plan, health insurance that is also available post retirement, at least 10 paid holidays, sick and annual leave that rolls over from year to year, paid or time off accrued for hours worked over 40 per week, a deferred compensation plan, a flexible benefits plan, alternate work schedules, work from home, etc. Alternative work schedules including 4/10’s or work from home MAY be an available benefit for certain positions upon meeting the policy requirements.
This position may be filled as:
- DETAIL: The selected employee may be required to serve a trial detail prior to being permanently promoted.
- TEMPORARY JOB APPOINTMENT: This position may be filled by temporary job appointment. If filled as a temporary job appointment, should a permanent position become available, the employee may be converted to a probational appointment.
- PROBATIONAL APPOINTMENT: Current permanent status classified State employees may be required to accept a probational appointment, if selected.
To apply for this vacancy, click on the “Apply” link above and complete an electronic application, which can be used for this vacancy as well as future job opportunities.
- Exams and License Requirements
- No Civil Service test score is required in order to be considered for this vacancy.
- License or temporary permit should be listed under the “Certificates and Licenses” section of the application.
- Failure to provide licensure information may result in the disqualification of your application
- This Agency is a Drug Free Workplace.
- This is a 24 hour facility.
- Applicants may be required to work shift work.
- As part of a Career Progression Group, vacancies may be filled from this recruitment as a Practical Nurse-Licensed 1, 2, or 3 depending on the level of experience of the selected applicant(s).
- The maximum salary for the Practical Nurse-Licensed 3 is $ 60,590. Please refer to the ‘Job Specifications’ tab located at the top of the LA Careers ‘Current Job Opportunities’ page of the Civil Service website for specific information on salary ranges, minimum qualifications and job concepts for each level.
- In the supplemental questions section, applicants must authorize the HR Office of DPS&C-Corrections Services to contact prior employers to check references under the Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) to be considered for employment.
REVIEW YOUR APPLICATION TO MAKE SURE IT IS CURRENT – Resumes WILL NOT be accepted in lieu of completed education and experience sections on your application. Applications may be rejected if incomplete.
- Any degree, certificate, special license, or DD-214 must be verified by official documentation prior to hire.
- An attached resume will not replace a completed application; failure to provide your qualifying work experience may result in your application not being considered.
- Any qualifying experience that is based on college credit/college hours should have an accompanying transcript for verification.
- Applicants are responsible for checking the status of their application to determine where they are in the recruitment process. Further status message information is located under the Information section of the Current Job Opportunities page.
- There is no guarantee that everyone who applies to this posting will be interviewed. The hiring supervisor/manager has 90 days from the closing date of the announcement to make a hiring decision. Specific information about this job will be provided to you in the interview process, should you be selected.
- To view and apply to any of our other postings we currently have available, click HERE.
The Louisiana Department of Public Safety and Corrections – Corrections Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate based on any non-merit factor including disability.
For information about this job posting contact:
Rayburn Correctional Center
Human Resources Department
Phone: (985) 661-6389 Fax: 225-342-5968
Possession of a valid Louisiana license or temporary permit to practice practical nursing or a multi-state license issued by a Nursing Licensure Compact (NLC/eNLC) state.
Function of Work:
To provide basic nursing care to patients/clients in stable conditions and in predictable situations in accordance with the Professional Nurses Practice Act.
Level of Work:
Close from a Registered Nurse or Practical Nurse of a higher level.
May exercise functional supervision over paraprofessional nursing personnel.
Location of Work:
Statewide-health care facilities; correctional facilities.
Differs from Practical Nurse-Licensed, 2 by the absence of journeyman level assignments and independent performance of duties.
Implements selective aspects of the nursing care plan, i.e., comfort, hygiene, safety measures, nutrition, etc. under progressively more generalized supervision from a Registered Nurse or Practical Nurse of a higher level.
Observes patients for changes in physical and/or mental status or behavior and reports significant changes.
Obtains specimens for laboratory testing as assigned.
Takes vital signs including temperature, pulse, respiration, and blood pressure.
Administers medication and treatments in accordance with policies and procedures.
Transcribes physicians’ orders and records medication and patient’s condition on patient’s charts and other records.
Receives and gives change of shift reports.
Requests stock drugs, medications, and supplies as assigned.
Administers CPR in emergency situations.
Admits, transfers, and discharges patients.
Gathers information about patient’s past and current physical and mental status.
May administer oral and parenteral medication as prescribed by the physician and documents procedure.
Applies dressings, ointments, and other treatments as ordered and documents procedure.
Assists physicians with routine examinations and treatments.
Bathes, feeds, and makes patients comfortable.
Performs individual and group health teaching as assigned.