Website State of Colorado
Positions provide direct care security, supervision, and support of detained and/or committed youth in Division of Youth Services (DYS) State Operated Secure Residential Facilities within a trauma responsive environment. The Position serves a complex adolescent population with various behavioral health disorders, trauma and criminal behaviors.. Facilities are 24/7 and position shifts are dependent on openings.
- Maintain a safe environment through appropriate supervision and use of behavioral management skills and interventions in order to guide youth through daily living and leisure activities.
- Facilitate educational, skill development, recreation, and other youth groups and activities.
- Support treatment and case plan goals and objectives developed by the Behavioral Health & Medical Services unit.
- Implement and document suicide precautions monitoring, safety plans and behavior agreements for those youth at high risk of hurting themselves or others or demonstrating other serious behavioral concerns.
- Conduct searches of individuals and rooms for contraband items.
- Reinforce use of safe practices including methods of supervision and structure that maintain a non-violent environment.
- Inspect and ensure the safety and security of doors, windows, and youth center grounds.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with youth to support them in their programming.
- Inspect common areas and youth center living units to maintain health, safety and sanitation standards.
- Utilize computer software to document incident reports and other activities when required.
- Adhere to and reinforce established DYS rules, policies, and procedures and utilize proper protocols when responding to critical incidents, physical altercations, medical emergencies, fire drills and other incidents.
- Monitor secure perimeter and monitor and control access to restricted areas.
- Teach, coach and redirect youth within the behavior management program and role model prosocial behavior at all times.
- Provide supervision and support of community transition/reintegration opportunities for youth.
- Use conflict management, non-escalation and de-escalation skills and, in emergencies, use approved physical response techniques when all other interventions have failed.
- Ability to study information and recount events in a written, factual, concise, and legible method.
- Ability to verbally communicate clearly and willingness to do so respectfully
- Self control, composure and the ability to manage stressful situations.
- Skilled in conflict management.
- Ability to identify and act on changes, inappropriate activity, hazards or potential security breaches and verbally communicate pertinent information.
- Sound judgment and decision making skills.
- Strong work ethic, integrity and dependability.
Qualification & Experience:
- High school diploma or General Education Diploma, (GED).
- College education in a behavioral health and or juvenile justice related field.
- Experience working with youth in positive leadership roles, such as mentoring and coaching.
- Experience facilitating psychoeducational groups; Education/experience working with adolescents who have trauma;
- Experience utilizing verbal de-escalation and motivational techniques.
- Experience working with adjudicated and/or detained youth within a secure residential facility and/or a behavioral health setting;
Company: State of Colorado
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Westminster, CO, US
Application Deadline: N/A