Website U.S. Department of State
This position is located on the Assistant Director for Programs staff, Farm Production and Conservation (FPAC), Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
The incumbent serves as a Soil Survey Geographic Information Systems (GIS) spatial analyst and
is responsible for providing leadership, technology transfer, and technical assistance and support
in GIS, Global Positioning Systems, remote sensing, etc. to the Special Projects office.
- Performs field sampling necessary to complete and verify soil mapping unit concepts identified by GIS modeling work.
- Provides training to Soil Scientists and others on methods for digital data preparation and development procedures for DSM, and in the use and interpretation of digital soil survey information and resource inventory data.
- Coordinates with other National Cooperative Soil Survey Program participants, such as universities, concerning the development, use, and access to soil survey geodatabases.
- Provides the requirements analysis and the identification and justification for additional software/hardware/data/training to support Major
- Land Resource Area soil science activities.
- Acquires and manages digital datasets and prepares digital soil-forming factor data for analysis using existing software available to Soil Survey
- Offices so the methods can be applied by staff in those offices.
- Provides technical support and assistance to Soil Survey Offices in the Soil Survey Special Projects Office using GIS, GPS, Remote Sensing (RS), and other Digital Soil Mapping (DSM) technologies and techniques.
Males born after 12/31/1959 must be Selective Service registered or exempt.
Subject to satisfactory adjudication of background investigation and/or fingerprint check. If selected you will be sent instructions on obtaining fingerprints. Please note we are not able to reimburse any fees incurred for fingerprints.
You must be a US Citizen or US National.
Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit E-Verify at https://www.e-verify.gov/.
Direct Deposit ? Per Public Law 104-134 all Federal employees are required to have federal payments made by direct deposit to their financial institution.
Successful completion of one-year probationary period, unless previously served.
Qualification & Experience:
- Applicants must meet all qualifications and eligibility requirements by the closing date of the announcement including time-in-grade restrictions, specialized experience and/or education, as defined below.
- Merit promotion applicants must meet applicable time-in-grade requirements to be considered eligible. One year at the GS-09 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-11 level. One year at the GS-11 level is required to meet the time-in-grade requirements for the GS-12 level. (Please submit your SF-50 that shows Time-in-Grade eligibility and reflects your title, series, and grade. No Award or General Adjustment SF-50’s will be accepted).
Company: U.S. Department of State
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Schenectady, NY, US
Application Deadline: N/A