Website Sandia National Laboratories
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time. Do you have a curiosity about using lasers for advanced manufacturing? We are seeking a hardworking R&D Laser/Optical Technologist to join our team supporting laser machining, laser assisted etching, and metal additive manufacturing.
- Support Custom Part Processing with Laser Irradiation which includes (1) laser machining using CAD files to directly machine parts through ultrafast laser irradiation,(2) laser ablation and laser annealing to affect surface properties, (3) nanosecond laser machining of thicker parts using a variety of wavelengths, (4) Impact studies through laser flyer plate launch, and more. In addition to completing jobs for customers, you will help develop new capabilities, trouble shoot, repair, operate, and maintain a variety of pulsed laser systems
- Work safely in a team environment and maintain security
- Support staff in safely operating, installing, upgrading, and maintaining Metal Additive Printing systems in support of R&D, prototyping, and production activities. Other duties include a wide variety of data during metal printing including thermal, optical, acoustic then analyzing the information
- Operate, repair, maintain, and modify the VarioScale laser assisted chemical etching tool. Its capabilities include localized etching of Si by laser scanning, the shaping of surfaces, in situ end-pointing for thickness control, uses both pulsed and CW lasers, and laser deposition of selected metals.
- Develop ES&H documentation such as operating procedures, pressure safety data packages, laser safety, electrical safety, etc.
- Good oral and written communication.
- Experience with MSOffice: Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word
- Knowledge of pressure systems and electro-mechanical systems.
- Experience operating, trouble shooting, maintaining, and/or repairing Laser based Metal AM printers
- Experience operating, trouble shooting, repairing, and maintaining lasers
- Experience with mechanical design and CAD tools, e.g., Solid Works, ProE
- Experience with CNC Machining. CAM, G-code, and design for manufacturability
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Basic knowledge of Conventional or Subtractive Manufacturing
- Experience with LabView, MatLab, or Python
- Knowledge of electronics and electrical characterization
- Basic knowledge of Laser Based Metal Additive Manufacturing
Company: Sandia National Laboratories
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Others
Job Location: Albuquerque, NM, US
Application Deadline: N/A