Website State of Rhode Island
Works under direction with wide latitude to exercise independent judgement and initiative; work is subject to review through conferences and submitted reports for results obtained to ensure conformance to established policies, provisions of laws, rules and regulations.
- To consult with and seek the cooperation of medical authorities in connection with the proper development and operation of the medical phases of temporary disability insurance.
- To plan and direct a staff engaged in conducting field investigations to ensure prevention of malingering and fraudulent collection of benefits.
- To represent the Department at appeals from decisions; to represent the Department at the Board of Review and/or court hearings.
- To review laws, rules and regulations to propose changes to existing or new legislation; to make recommendations on proposed legislation.
- To direct a statewide temporary disability insurance program consisting of claims processing, payment control, verification, medical certification, and investigations.
- To do related work as required.
- To plan and direct the methods to be used to gather additional medical information for the purpose of reviewing disputed cases.
- To be responsible for the planning and programming of divisional activities and to coordinate such activities with overall departmental activities.
- To assist in the formulation of in-service training programs.
- To plan a program of visits to claimants’ home for the purpose to determining the effectiveness of present methods of operation.
- To interpret and apply the provisions of the Temporary Disability Insurance Act and to make recommendations for the formulation of policies relative to this program.
- To participate in the formulation and implementation of policies.
- To confer with organized labor, management and civic groups to develop understanding, interest and cooperation in the area of temporary disability insurance.
- To examine decisions of subordinates and to prepare data for review by the Board of Review in instances of appeals from decisions.
- To request physical examinations by impartial examining physicians as appropriate.
- To direct or ensure scheduled visits to physicians, employers and other agencies to verify claimants’ statements of disability.
- A thorough knowledge of the provisions of the Rhode Island Temporary Disability Insurance Act.
- A thorough knowledge of the Rhode Island Employment Security and Workers’ Compensation Laws.
- A thorough knowledge of the principles and techniques of public administration.
- The ability to read and interpret and apply the provisions of pertinent laws, rules and regulations.
- The ability to plan, organize, coordinate, and direct the work of a staff engaged in varied technical, medical, and office activities; and related capacities and abilities.
Qualification & Experience:
- Education: Such as may have been gained through: graduation from a college of recognized standing with a degree in business or public administration.
- Experience: Such as may have been gained through: employment in a supervisory capacity in a governmental agency or in private business engaged in the determination of eligibility and payment of claims and requiring the interpretation and application of laws or rules and regulations.
- Any combination of education and experience that shall be substantially equivalent to the above education and experience.
Company: State of Rhode Island
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Coventry, RI, US
Application Deadline: N/A