Website Portland General Electric
Performs engineering work in planning, operations, construction, or maintenance environments. Plans, designs and estimates time and cost and oversees construction and maintenance of structures, facilities, systems, and components. Develops and applies engineering principles, standards, and procedures. Applies principles, standards, and procedures to create cost-effective design. Provides engineering support and consultation and ensures adherence to industry standards, codes, and regulations.
- Completes and reviews engineering analyses and prioritizes and supports complex system restoration efforts involving network systems, core areas and major customers; works with line crews to solve problems found in the field; identifies trends/patterns in outage reports and proposes solutions to complex distribution reliability problems; proposes distribution expansion projects needed to increase operational flexibility; responds to unplanned outages and leads efforts to restore the distribution system and service to customers.
- Proposes projects needed for expansion of the distribution system to add capacity and operational flexibility; provides recommendations to management for viable alternative solutions to complex distribution reliability and system-hardening problems; serves as work order owner for distribution maintenance and feeder getaway projects.
- Prepares a variety of complex engineering deliverables for larger or multiple projects; coordinates multiple-discipline activity.
- Provides guidance on distribution standards and equipment specifications to meet customer expectations; provides expertise and oversight in distribution design and code interpretation to resolve issues impacting key customers.
- Maintains currency in state-of-the art engineering practices and provides guidance and direction on engineering processes and standards to colleagues when requested.
- Serves as a technical specialist and provides consultation/guidance to project teams in a particular practice area; actively fosters knowledge management and provides mentoring; implements resource management strategy.
- Provides professional engineering expertise on distribution design, code interpretation and distribution standards and equipment specifications (e.g., switches, reclosers, network protectors, distribution automation equipment); provides expertise in distribution design and code interpretation to resolve complex problems on the distribution system.
- Serves as a liaison to external customers; provides job status updates, requests additional design information, investigates outages and power quality issues, follows up on customer technical issues and provides information to Distribution Planning.
- Actively coordinates with other internal/external team members on moderately complex projects, including representing the team to interdepartmental stakeholders.
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, IT, or related field or equivalent directly-related union experience.
- Prefer five or more years of experience in electric utility with a focus on transmission and distribution or a related field; one year of leadership experience preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of utility operations. including tools and equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures related to area of specialization (service and installation or substation, for example).
- Advanced knowledge of crew functions and duties related to area of specialization.
- Advanced knowledge of tools and equipment used in PGE meter operations.
- Advanced knowledge of vehicle, equipment and tool functional limits related to line construction.
- Advanced knowledge of PUC requirements for construction, repair and service work.
- Advanced knowledge of safe construction methods and PGE’s standards of construction.
- Advanced knowledge of PGE’s electric service requirements, National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and National Electric Code (NEC).
Company: Portland General Electric
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Gresham, OR, US
Application Deadline: N/A