Website City of Philadelphia
The Philadelphia airport is a dynamic place to work. It is the only major airport serving the 8th largest metropolitan area in the United States and is one of the busiest airports in the country. The City of Philadelphia Division of Aviation oversees both Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) and Northeast Airport (PNE), the city’s general aviation reliever airport. The airport system operates through the Aviation Fund, which is an enterprise fund of the City of Philadelphia and is completely self-sustaining using no local taxpayer dollars to operate. Learn more about the airport at www.phl.org.
Reporting to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO), the Director of Communications will set and guide the strategy for all communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to clearly and consistently articulate and support PHL’s mission. The Director of Communications will work closely with the senior peer group within the organization as the communications partner for strategic initiatives.
- Coordinate and organize annual meetings that engage the Airport’s discreet audiences.
- Assist the Deputy Director of Human Resources with development and dissemination of communications to employees.
Manage all media contacts.
- Put communications channels in place to create momentum and awareness as well as to test the effectiveness of communications activities.
- Mentor and lead the team responsible for PHL’s website development, maintenance, and administration. Ensure that new information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly and is consistent with PHL’s mission, vision, and brand.
- Track and measure the level of engagement over time and take steps to build engagement.
- Develop and implement the annual communications plan across the Airport’s discreet audiences in collaboration with the PHL team and constituents. Evaluate the results and take steps to improve outcomes.
- Ensure that practices, processes, and programs are impartial, fair and provide equal possible outcomes for every individual.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, newsletters, brochures, and PHL’s website.
- Lead the creation of online content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action. Decide who, where, and when to disseminate.
- Collaborate with and assist Director of Marketing and Branding with all promotional efforts including support for social media, website, email, and print approaches.
- Support strategic initiatives of PHL and the senior PHL team through communications programs.
- Create, promote and maintain an inclusive workplace that acknowledges, understands, accepts, values, celebrates and respects the differences among individuals, in such areas as, race, age, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, culture, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, or other demographics.
- Highly collaborative style; experience developing and implementing communications strategies
- High energy, maturity, and leadership with the ability to serve as a unifying force and to position communications discussions at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Sincere commitment to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including staff, advisory board members, media, elected officials, partners and the traveling public
- Ability to take knowledge and transform it into exciting and useful messages, and disseminate it to the right audiences through the best distribution channels
- Self-starter, able to work independently, and entrepreneurial; enjoys creating and implementing new initiatives
- Excellent writing/editing and verbal communication skills
- Strong track record as an implementer who thrives on managing a variety of key initiatives concurrently
- Relationship builder with the flexibility and finesse to “manage by influence”
Qualification & Experience:
- At least seven (7) years of communications experience, ideally in an “in-house” leadership role within a complex organization, and covering areas such as website content, newsletters, and media communications
- Must pass and maintain SIDA (Security Identification Display Area) and AOA (Airfield Operations Area) Clearance at the time of appointment and during tenure of employment.
- BA/BS degree in communications related field or equivalent experience.
Company: City of Philadelphia
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Philadelphia, PA, US
Application Deadline: N/A