Website Pantex Plant
As a structural design engineer, the candidate will be responsible for developing high quality detailed design packages, providing engineering procurement and field technical support to implement those designs, and providing expertise for troubleshooting and technical assessments of plant facilities Design involves the preparation of conceptual engineering deliverables such as cost-estimating bills of material and man-hour estimates, statements of work, design criteria, and design engineering deliverables. Candidate must effectively and cooperatively work as a team member of an integrated project team, or as a technical lead for a multi-discipline task and will routinely provide input to system engineers and other plant customers. Design engineer will routinely perform walkdowns in the existing plant facilities in order to generate design documents and provide field support to craft personnel.
- This position will require technical expertise and wide application of technical principles, theories and concepts in the field of Structural Engineering.
- The structural engineer will provide self-performed technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems through the application of established engineering practices, codes and standards.
- Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to building evaluations and modifications, seismic analyses and rehab, oversight of outside engineering firms, and machine installations.
- The structural engineer must be proficient with developing structural drawings (plans, sections and details) for various materials of construction (concrete, steel, masonry, cold-formed steel, timber), structural calculations, equipment anchorage, report preparation, drafting (or oversight of drafting), and preparation of construction specifications (generally in the form of general notes on the drawings).
- Must be familiar with consensus design codes.
- CAD drafting experience not required but preferred, along with any 3D modelling experience.
- Structural modelling experience with STAAD.Pro also preferred.
- The candidate must have ability to plan, self-perform and/or direct all engineering design team activities on a project which include, but are not limited to: development of detailed project scope, design time-lines, functions and requirements, design basis and criteria, design schedule and tracking, project engineering budget, calculations, research, design review, inter-discipline design coordination, design approval, design change control, specifications, approval of contractor technical and material submittals and field verification of construction compliance to design.
- There is a minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) requirement up to 4 years post-graduation at time of offer and confirmed by transcript. Beyond four years from graduation, engineering experience will supersede GPA as a requirement for hire.
- In addition, the applicant must meet the requirements of DOE O 426.2 (i.e., Baccalaureate in engineering or related science, 2 years job-related and at least 1 year nuclear experience, or a DOE O 426.2 alternative). DOE 426.2 experience requirements can be satisfied following employment.
- In the interim, newly hired personnel will not be assigned duties that could impact the safety basis of nuclear facilities. (Ref. DOE O 426.2).
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering/physical science discipline with a minimum 3.0/4.0 cumulative GPA and 2 years of relevant experience
- Master’s degree in engineering/physical science discipline with a minimum 3.3/4.0 cumulative GPA OR a PhD in engineering/physical science discipline with a minimum 3.5 cumulative GPA.
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor or Master of Science in Civil or Structural Engineering Accreditation Commission (EAC) Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accredited program in the United States or designated equivalents from Canada or Mexico, the Washington Accord, or the list of substantially equivalent as documented by ABET.
- A Professional Engineering License (PE) is preferred but not required.
- Typical experience could range from three to ten plus years.
Company: Pantex Plant
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Others
Job Location: Amarillo, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A