Website National Weather Service
This position is located in the National Weather Service (NWS), National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP), Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC), with one vacancy in Boulder, CO.
- Serve as a senior-level scientist, developing and maintaining expertise in space weather observations and data assimilation for modeling elements of the space environment relevant to customer needs.
- Serve as an expert providing guidance and direction regarding space weather measurements, instrumentation, and observations.
- Work with the space weather forecasters and the operational forecast office to better understand the needs and requirements of forecasters and the customers of space weather products and services.
- Coordinate with external and international partners to ensure SWPC observational needs are understood and adequately addressed.
- Establish Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) requirements and priorities for space weather observations ensuring that current and future observational capabilities meet the needs and requirements of forecasters and the customers of space weather products and services.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply.
- Must be suitable for Federal employment.
- Time-in-grade/band must be met by closing date of announcement.
- Must be registered for Selective Service, if applicable (www.sss.gov).
- Required to pass a background investigation and fingerprint check.
Qualification & Experience:
- Applicants must possess one year of specialized experience equivalent in difficulty and responsibility to the next lower grade level in the Federal Service.
- Specialized experience is experience that has equipped the applicant with the particular competencies/knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position.
- Experience with space weather observations and instrumentation
- Experience participating in setting requirements for space weather observations.
Company: National Weather Service
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Boulder, CO, US
Application Deadline: N/A