Website Lakeland Electric
This is a supervisory position with a heavy concentration in training. It involves highly specialized technical skills leading and training personnel who operate the electric power system of the City of Lakeland on rotating shifts. The system includes transmission, distribution, generation and interconnections with other utilities. Work involves responsibility for electric system security, analysis of transmission and distribution outage requests, and review of generation scheduling regarding system reliability. Responsibilities include operating the electric system, complying with NERC, SERC, and FRCC reliability standards; delivering in-house training and CEH management. The Chief Electric System Operator will write and update the Standard Operating Procedures to ensure compliance with federal, national, regional, and Lakeland Electric policies. The Chief Electric System Operator will have the responsibility and authority to implement real-time actions to ensure the stable and reliable operations of the Bulk Power System. This position is responsible for training, leading and assigning tasks to direct reports. Work is performed in accordance with established policies and procedures exercising comprehensive knowledge and performing complex tasks in both routine and emergency situations. Performance is reviewed by the Manager for effectiveness through reports, conferences and results obtained.
- Develops and conducts existing in-house training courses conducive to LE Operator development.
- Provides and coordinates system operator training to comply with FERC, NERC, FRCC, FMPP and Lakeland Electric requirements; maintains detailed training records.
- Coordinates the activities of the Electric System Operators such as shift assignments, scheduling, performance, and recommending policies.
- Accepts responsibility for supervising the operation of the electric system on assigned shift. Assists in developing plans to mitigate potential operating and loading problems and implementing approved strategies to react to adverse system conditions.
- Reviews requests for planned and emergency electric equipment outages; analyzes the effect on system reliability.
- Updates diagrams, prints, and other information crucial to the safe and reliable operation of the system.
- Coordinates with Power Pool Balancing Authority Operators on generation scheduling and transmission outages that could impact Pool operation.
- Ensures system operators maintain a clear and detailed record log of all activities on the electric system.
- Works with Manager in developing goals and overall work plans.
- May be required to work overtime or alternate hours as necessary for the efficient operation of the department.
- Position is designated Mission Critical.
- High school diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
- Five (5) years of experience in electric control center operations including extensive experience with normal and emergency restoration procedures, transmission and distribution switching and clearance procedures. Preferred background in developing and implementing skilled training programs, or willingness to attend designated classes and workshops to obtain these skills.
- Must possess and maintain North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) System Operator Balancing, Interchange, Transmission (BIT) certification.
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities and other competencies necessary for success in the target position.
- Knowledge and experience with a Systematic Approach to Training and the A.D.D.I.E process.
- Knowledge of the standards governing the safe, reliable operation of Lakeland Electric’s transmission, and distribution system and maintaining full compliance with these standards.
- Knowledge of electrical theory, techniques, methods, materials, tools and service territory in the industry.
- Ability to read electrical diagrams of substations, transmission lines and distribution lines for switching and general operations.
- Ability to speak clearly and concisely, maintain composure under normal and stressful conditions such that communication will be short, professional and to the point along with understanding field personnel.
Company: Lakeland Electric
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Jacksonville, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A