Website Lakeland Electric
This is highly specialized work in operating the electric power system of the City of Lakeland on rotating shifts. The system includes transmission, distribution, generation and interconnections with other utilities. Work involves responsibility for electric system security, analysis of transmission and distribution outage requests using the analysis tools in the Energy Management System and review of generation scheduling with regard to system reliability. This classification is responsible for operating the electric system, complying with NERC and FRCC reliability standards, writing and conducting switching orders, operating supervisory control equipment and keeping records of all related activities. Work is performed in accordance with established policies and procedures; however the incumbent is expected to exercise independent judgment and initiative in the performance of each task. The Electric System Operator will have the responsibility and authority to implement real-time actions to ensure the stable and reliable operations of the Bulk Power System. Emergency situations must be handled as they develop in a safe and expeditious manner without supervision. Work is reviewed for technical competence and compliance with established operating procedures.
- Monitors and controls the electric system using the Energy Management System and ensuring that NERC and FRCC compliance standards are met.
- Evaluates and takes action necessary to operate the energy delivery system in a safe, reliable, stable and efficient manner in accordance with normal and emergency procedures.
- Expedites the restoration of service to all customers, minimizing the scope of any system upset or service interruption, and limiting potential damage to utility infrastructure.
- Reviews requests for planned and emergency electric equipment outages, analyzes their effect on system reliability, writes the switching order and executes the switching procedure.
- Maintains continuous circuit diagrams and records of the status of all switches and other electric equipment or work in progress and other information crucial to the safe operation of the system.
- Coordinates with Power Pool operators on all generation scheduling and transmission outages that affect Pool operation.
- Maintains a clear and detailed record log of all activities on the electric system.
- Responds to customer outages, directs field crews to inspect and report on problems, maintains records of outages and analyzes the effect of outages on system reliability.
- A high school diploma from an accredited school or its equivalent.
- Six (6) years of experience in electric utility transmission/distribution system operations including extensive experience with normal and emergency restoration procedures, transmission and distribution switching and clearance procedures; or engineering work related to the design and/or analysis of electric transmission and distribution systems; or construction and maintenance of electric substations and/or associated electric system protective devices
- An equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities and other competencies necessary for success in the target position.
Company: Lakeland Electric
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Sarasota, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A