Website Kansas City Southern
This position is responsible for the timely investigation, handling and resolution of casualty claims and litigation in the assigned geographic territory in a manner consistent with applicable local, state and federal laws. Maintains communication involved parties and may collaborate with outside counsel and insurance vendors as needed.
- Acts as the initial responder to all incidents and conducts on-site and off-site investigations and begins evidence gathering process (statement taking, photographs and video system downloads, etc.), documentation and preservation of evidence.
- 0Evaluates in cooperation with claimant and Counsel resolution to claims by evaluating facts, assessing related factors and determining preliminary outcome and indemnity estimates.
- Works with KCS’s insurance department and with outside insurance vendors; participates in case reviews;
- Works with digital photography and recordings of evidence (i.e., cameras on locomotives);
- Investigates liability claims asserted against the company applying understanding of applicable laws.
- Works with injured parties, employees, and outsiders who either have or potentially have a claim. Partners with injured employees and family to ensure access to medical and financially related services as needed in an effort to allow the employee to return to work as soon as possible.
- Works with Engineering, Transportation, and Mechanical departments to review potential process improvements to minimize future incidents;
- Handles review, validation and submission of medical and vocational rehabilitation invoices for settlement.
- Partners with Counsel in the development and defense of a litigated case and may testify in court if required.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience working on contracts related to railroad/ transportation/ industry indemnification and working with Railroad Operations, General
- Code of Operating Rules (GCOR) and Safety Rules.
- Hachelor’s degree from four-year college or university, preferably in Business, Insurance, Pre-law, Criminal Justice or Forensics
- Five (5) years work-related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Two (2) years of experience analyzing and problem solving the technical aspects of investigations, evidence preservation, medical terminology and the law, including working with Federal Employers Liability Act (FELA)
Company: Kansas City Southern
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Baton Rouge, LA, US
Application Deadline: N/A