GE Renewable Energy
About the job
Job Description Summary The Senior Wind Technician is a critical and active role to maintain optimal function and output at the wind site by working daily on turbine operations, required maintenance, safety, quality control and warranty repair(s). The Senior Technician should exhibit a proficiency with all elements of the wind turbine function, and partners and communicates with all stake holders to execute on contract requirements and timelines to ensure alignment with GE excellence! Job Description
GE’s Onshore Wind business has a total installed base of more than 50,000 wind turbines in more than 35 counties, with 100+ GW of global installed capacity. We harness increased onshore wind energy potential through a broad family of turbines that are uniquely suited for a variety of wind environments, including Cypress, GE’s most powerful onshore wind turbine, and GE’s 2MW platform, which has more than 20GW installed and in operation today. We are committed to our customers’ success in wind, offering a broad portfolio of products and services that make renewables the energy of choice for a cleaner future.
Why We Come To Work
At GE Renewable Energy, our service teams keep our world moving. They’re adaptable, determined, and safety-focused, thriving in high-pressure situations. They’re the kind of people who dig deep for answers, work collaboratively with the right teams to drive solutions, and who sit back and smile when they know they have done a great job. As part of this team, you’ll be rewarded with autonomy and trust, a collaborative, supportive team, and the chance to be empowered and successful, every single day.
Title: Senior Wind Technician – Rattlesnake Den (Garden City, TX)
The Senior Wind Technician is a critical and active role to maintain optimal function and output at the wind site by working daily on turbine operations, required maintenance, safety, quality control and warranty repair(s). The Senior Technician should exhibit a proficiency with all elements of the wind turbine function, and partners and communicates with all stake holders to execute on contract requirements and timelines to ensure alignment with GE excellence!
As the Senior Wind Technician, Rattlesnake Den you will:
- Fluently perform complex troubleshooting for mechanical, hydraulic, and electrical problems on multiple platforms;
- Apply extensive understanding of variable pitch & speed turbines and converter parts;
- Read, understand and explain schematics, drawings, technical manuals, procedures, and regulations.
- Work with site leadership to execute contractual obligations per customer requirements and activities set forth with on a daily basis, which include any portion of the electrical and mechanical equipment used in the GE wind turbine generator;
- Demonstrate proficiency to identify issues or errors and repair or replacement of parts to correct malfunctions;
- Help in all areas of site operations as directed by manager, and mentor peers;
- Adhere to all Environmental Health and Safety processes and regulations and all applicable compliance requirements;
- Effectively perform diagnostic analysis and generate plan for timely resolution and
- Document all work performed using computer based service reporting procedures.
- High School Diploma or GED, and
- Ability to pass Technical Knowledge Assessment, and
- 4+ years of wind trouble-shooting experience, or
- Internal: 1+ year EHS, SQC, Lead role, or 6+ years of wind trouble-shooting experience, or 3+ years of wind trouble-shooting experience AND Bachelors Degree in relevant field.
- External: 1+ year in a safety or quality titled role
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license;
- Handle repetitive weight – 50 lbs, and climb towers up to 300 feet daily;
- Meet specified manufacturer weight limits not to exceed 300lbs including required gear;
- Ability and willingness to work in range of environments to include but not limited to industrial facilities, manufacturing facilities, and power industry facilities;
- Effectively prioritize work according to contract obligations;
- Ability and willingness to take initiative, and work without direct supervision and
- Flexibility to work rotating shift schedules, and on-call per site needs.
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in a Technical, Electrical, or Electronics field from an accredited college or university;
- Technical Certification(s) in Wind Energy or Electrical / Electronic field;
- Ability to work with a wide variety of personnel at all levels inside and outside of the Wind Farm;
- Wind turbine experience with advanced troubleshooting and repair;
- Electrical, mechanical, and/or hydraulic experience;
- Experience using hydraulic power tools;
- Experience with heavy equipment required for facility maintenance with a working knowledge of crane and rigging requirements;
- Borescope certification;
- Willingness to assist at other sites / travel.
GE offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation. GE is an Equal Opportunity Employer . Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
GE will only employ those who are legally authorized to work in the United States for this opening. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a drug screen (as applicable).
As a federal government contractor, GE may in the future be required to have U.S. employees fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Some GE customers currently have vaccination mandates that may apply to GE employees.
Relocation Assistance Provided: No
- This is a remote position