Website California Department of Fish and Wildlife
California is one of the most biodiverse places on the planet. As such, the Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) values diverse employees working together to protect nature for all Californians. CDFW is committed to fostering an inclusive work environment where all backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences can thrive and connect others to our critical mission
- Perform analytical procedures in the California Department of Fish and Wildlife Genetics Research Laboratory (CDFW-GRL) to support the genetic analyses of native fishes.
- Procedures include Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) extraction, amplification, genotyping, sequencing and associated statistical analyses of results using a variety of computational methods.
- More specifically, perform genetic typing of Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP) genetic markers using genome-wide DNA sequence data, targeted amplicon sequencing, and marker-specific genetic typing assays, and analyze the genetic data using R and Unix shell scripting.
- Perform scientific literature reviews of current native fish genetic studies and reports to identify genetic information gaps that may hinder effective CDFW species management and conservation goals.
- Perform environmental DNA (eDNA) analysis in the CDFW-GRL. This includes field collection of eDNA samples, DNA extraction, genotyping, and optimization of new eDNA genetic typing assays for native fishes.
- Write protocols for genetic laboratory procedures and technical and administrative reports that communicate results of ongoing genetic analyses.
- Perform laboratory instrument and reagent Quality Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC) in accordance with current CDFW-GRL laboratory practices.
- Ability to work well within a team
- Ability to work well independently
- Good organizational skills
- Personal initiative
- Interest in fisheries conservation and management issues
- Aptitude for detail
- Occasional travel to remote locations when working with hatcheries and wild fishes
- Work several hours in a laboratory setting (both standing and sitting)
- Work several hours on a computer
Company: California Department of Fish and Wildlife
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Application Deadline: N/A