About the job
Posting End Date: 10/05/2022
Under directive supervision, with some latitude for planning or laying out of working details, following established principles, methods, policies, rules and regulations involved in the adjustment of customer’s complaints on high or low gas pressure service, install or remove gas meters, regulators and related piping, fabricate and assemble gas meter connections, and be qualified to do the following and related work as assigned:
- All duties of Apprentice Gas Department.
- Operate, test, inspect gas appliances such as gas ranges, water heaters, furnaces, and other gas appliances on customers’ premises, make evaluation to determine if appliances operate safely.
- Install, remove, and repair all types of services, meters, regulators, fabricate, and assemble meter connections.
- Locate and repair gas leaks on customers’ premises.
- Answer and respond to ‘on-call/duty crew’ fire alarms and emergency calls.
- Inspect industrial and, commercial, residential, and gas fired equipment, such as boilers, food service appliances, etc.; adjust thermostats if required for testing.
- Respond to emergency gas situations taking control of the scene, establishing safety perimeter and evacuation zone, determine procedure and perform safe gas shutdown.
- Work closely with state, parish, city, other utilities, and contractors to ensure proper and safe excavation practices are performed around gas facilities.
- Perform leak investigations.
- Make thorough and complete investigations of damaged gas facilities.
- Efficiently operate several computer applications related to the Gas Business.
- Make complete investigation and detailed report on any explosion, accident, fire, or damage or any kind on which assigned.
- Check operation of Company pressure reducing equipment.
- Lock and unlock meters.
- Plan, lay out, lead, train, and direct all work and crews in a safe and efficient manner
- Demonstrate the required knowledge, skills and abilities on specific covered task of the position for the purpose of complying with Department of Transportation, Pipeline Hazardous Material Safety Administration.
Experience And Special Qualifications
- Must have worked for at least two years, and qualified, as an Apprentice – Gas Department, or have had equivalent experience in related work, having all qualifications of the previous classifications.
- Maintain automobile and truck driver’s license, TWIC card or other applicable required license, background check, or ID.
- Know city streets and roads in rural sections.
- Have a thorough knowledge of material and use of tools and equipment.
- Have a thorough knowledge of the layout and characteristics of the gas distribution system, services, and meters.
- Have a thorough working knowledge of Company’s gas distribution practices and standards.
- Be thoroughly familiar with Company’s service policies and their application.
- Have a thorough knowledge of Company regulations governing disconnects for non-payment, repossession of merchandise, and diversion of gas.
- Have a practical knowledge of the fundamentals involved in gas burning equipment, meters, regulators, piping systems, and related apparatus.
- Be familiar with the city plumbing code related to gas piping.
- Be able to perform semi-routine operations of moderate complexity and variety where standard methods of procedure are available.
- Know Company’s safety rules, and be able to administer all approved methods of resuscitation, and be able to render practical first aid.
- Must have the ability to acquire and maintain skills required as technology evolves (examples such as, accessing electronic mapping information, collecting and interpreting electronic pipe locating and leak detection information.)
- Ability to detect presence natural gas.
- Good hand-eye coordination and physical dexterity.
- Must have full use of mental and physical faculties.
- Have strength and endurance adequate for arduous labor in all kinds of outdoor weather conditions.
- Be particularly alert in observing hazards, abnormal operating conditions, and avoiding accidents.
- Be willing to work under unusual surroundings, as well as the normal working conditions pertaining to this job.
- Be able to receive and transmit orders and instructions in such a manner as to inspire respect and confidence of both superiors and coworkers.
Primary Location: Louisiana – Baton Rouge
Job Function: All Other Jobs
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
Relocation Option: No Relocation Offered
Union description/code: GSU BARG-U01
Number of Openings: 1
Req ID: 108805
Travel Percentage: Up to 25%
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Vets. Please click here to view the full statement.
As a provider of essential services, Entergy expects its employees to be available to work additional hours, to work in alternate locations, and/or to perform additional duties in connection with storms, outages, emergencies, or other situations as deemed necessary by the company. Exempt employees may not be paid overtime associated with such duties.