U.S. Department of the Interior
About the job
Help Help Duties
As a Drill Rig Operator Helper within the Research Drilling Program, some of your specific duties will include:
- Assists Drill Rig Operator in the operation of the truck mounted top-head drive drill rigs for the purpose of obtaining a variety of subsurface data as related to ongoing scientific investigations.
- Assists Drill Rig Operator in the operation, maintenance, and repair of drilling rigs, water trucks, trailers, compressors, pumps, and other auxiliary equipment.
- Responsible for working well within a unit, able to follow directions as given.
Additional Requirements Of The Job
- Must operate a government vehicle as an incidental driver.
- Work days are typically 12 hour shifts in strenuous conditions and extreme weather.
- Lifting objects up to 100 lbs. will be required.
- Climbing and working at heights 30′ to 40′ feet above ground will be required.
Physical Effort: Strenuous effort is required in manipulating and maintaining equipment. Extreme physical exertion is occasionally demanded to effectively carry out all functions of the job. Work includes twisting two-hundred pound drill rods in and out of the drill hole for extended periods, shoveling dirt or mud from the immediate drilling area, and moving heavy and awkward equipment in the drilling area. These objects frequently weigh up to 150 lbs. Physical strength, endurance, and dexterity of all limbs is required.
Working Conditions: Work on sites requires the wearing of protective gear against possible exposure to chemical hazards. Use of specified personal protective equipment is mandatory.
Help Help Requirements Conditions of Employment
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- Selectee may be subject to serving a one-year trial period.
- Selectee must provide a valid state driver’s license & safe driving record.
- Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Selectee subject to successful completion of a pre-employment medical exam.
- Selectee subject to successful completion of a pre-employment drug test.
Are There Any Special Requirements For This Position?
- If selected you may be asked to provide information regarding your COVID-19 vaccination status for the purposes of implementing workplace safety protocols, such as those related to masking, physical distancing, testing, travel, and quarantine.
- Drug Test & Pre-Employment Medical – Prior to appointment, the selectee will be required to take and pass, at Federal expense: (1) a physical exam; and (2) a urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use. From thereon, the incumbent may be subject to random drug testing.
- You will operate a government-owned or -leased vehicle as part of your official duties. Applicants for this position must meet the following requirements:
- (1) CDL – Have or be able to Obtain within 90 days of hire
- (2) possess a valid State license, and
- (3) possess a safe driving record.
- (4) If selected, you will be required to provide proof of a valid State license & a copy of your driving record.
- Because this position requires travel for official business, the selectee will be required to apply for a charge card within 30 calendar days of appointment. Individuals who have delinquent account balances from a previous Government charge card will be required to satisfy their existing obligation before a new card can be issued.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant’s successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- Throughout the recruitment and hiring process we will be communicating with you via email; therefore, it is imperative that the email address you provide when applying for this vacancy remains active. Should your email address change, please notify the point of contact identified in the vacancy announcement as soon as possible so that we can update our system.
There is no specific length of training or experience required; however, applicants must be able to demonstrate the ability to perform the basic work of the position without more than normal supervision through experience shown in the written resume and responses to the job related task statements in this announcement. To be basically qualified for this position applicants must meet the identified screen-out element below.
Screen-Out Element: Without more than normal supervision, applicants must be able to perform the following Drill Rig Operator Helper duties: setting up equipment, operate and maintain small equipment, and following directions as given.
You must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the position by the closing date of the announcement.
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the above requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.usgs.gov/about/organization/science-support/human-capital/how-foreign-education-evaluated-federal-jobs .
- After the initial 13 month appointment, you may be extended for a period not to exceed a total of 4-years.
- Applicants who include vulgar, offensive, or inappropriate language or information in their application package will be ineligible for further consideration for this position.
- Under Executive Order 11935, only United States citizens and nationals (residents of American Samoa and Swains Island) may compete for civil service jobs. Agencies are permitted to hire non-citizens only in very limited circumstances where there are no qualified citizens available for the position.
- USGS employees are subject to Title 43, USC Section 31(a) and may not: (a) have any personal, private, direct or indirect interest in lands or mineral wealth of lands under survey; (b) have any substantial personal, private, direct or indirect interests in any private mining or mineral enterprise doing business with the United States; or (c) execute surveys or examinations for private parties or corporations.
- The application contains information subject to the Privacy Act (P.L. 93-579, 5 USC 552a). The information is used to determine qualifications for employment, and is authorized under Title 5, USC, Section 3302 and 3361.
- DOI uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
- The Department of the Interior (DOI) places a high value on diversity of experience and cultural perspectives and encourages applications from all interested eligible candidates. Diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility (DEIA) are fundamental principles that guide the Department and allow us to successfully achieve our mission.
- THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
- Working for the U.S. Geological Survey offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation, sick leave , and holidays ; health, life, dental, vision, and long term care insurance, flexible spending accounts , and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System .
- Help Help A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new window Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above. To preview the announcement questionnaire, click here: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11547349
- Vacancy Related Questions: As part of the online application process, you will need to respond to a series of questions designed to assess your possession of the following knowledge skills, abilities and/or competencies: Ability To Do The Work of The Position Without More Than Normal Supervision, Operation of Motor Vehicles, Work Practices, Mechanical, Safety, and Teamwork.
- Basis of Rating: Category rating will be used in the ranking and selection process for this position. The quality categories are Best Qualified and Qualified. You will be rated on the extent and quality of your experience, education, and training relevant to the duties of the position. If you are eligible, your on-line responses to the application questions will determine your placement in the appropriate quality category described above. Your responses must be substantiated by your resume. If you do not respond to the application questions you may be rated ineligible. Veterans’ preference rules for category rating will be applied.
- Cut-Off-Date: A cut-off date is an early consideration period prior to the closing date of this announcement. Applications received by the cut-off date will be evaluated to determine qualification using the documents submitted. A list of qualified candidates will be submitted to the Selection Official(s) for consideration.
- August 5 & 23, 2022
- September 9 & 23, 2022
- October 7
- NOTE: If it is determined that you have rated yourself higher than is supported in your description of experience and/or education as described in your resume/application, or that your resume or application is incomplete, you may be rated ineligible, not qualified, or your score may be lowered.