Website City of Sunrise
Under the general direction of the Director and Deputy Director of Community Development, the incumbent exercises considerable initiative and independent judgment in selecting work methods and formulating recommendations to meet department needs, objectives and goals. Supervision is exercised over a group of technical staff including Assistant City Engineer, Urban Forester, Engineering Plans Reviewer, Engineering Aide, Plans Processing Technician, Administrative Assistant and Engineering and Landscape Inspectors. The position requires the employee to direct and supervise subordinate personnel. Work is reviewed through conferences, oral and written reports, and observations of results obtained.
- Supervises, reviews, and performs permitting functions in the design and construction of storm drainage systems, streets and other pavement systems, sidewalks, sanitary sewers, potable water, landscape and irrigation systems, and related areas; reviews and approves preliminary designs, cost estimates and provides project recommendations for inclusion in planning and design functions; supervises and participates in inspection of construction jobs, as required; has responsibility for input into submission of final “as built” plans.
- Supervises and reviews development applications within the department as related to engineering principals and City Code of Ordinances.
- Supervises and oversees the landscaping group of the department and related regulatory reviews for development applications and permitting.
- Coordinates with City’s traffic consultant as needed.
- Directs or participates in preparation of policies, procedures, regulations and ordinances.
- Coordinates plans, special studies, contracts, design and functional requirements with municipal departments and outside sources, such as contractors, engineering firms and governmental agencies.
- Represents department in areas of work at technical meetings and conferences, including but not limited to the City of Sunrise Bicycle and Pedestrian Board.
- Maintains effective relationships with municipal and outside agencies; performs functions in administration of federal programs through coordination with municipal departments and outside agencies by understanding and interpreting local, state and federal guidelines
- Serves as the floodplain manager for the City.
- Performs technical review of the construction and operation of water and wastewater treatment systems, including lift stations and related peripheral systems and equipment.
- Supervises and trains professional, sub-professional, technical, and administrative personnel.
- Completes studies, updates files, prepares plans; reports and makes recommendations with respect to future projects and preventative maintenance programs, as required.
Qualification & Experience:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Engineering; preferably Civil Engineering or related field
- Seven (7) years responsible professional level experience involving land development or closely related field
- Two (2) years of professional supervisory experience required
- Municipal (local, state or federal government) experience preferred
Company: City of Sunrise
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Lauderhill, FL, US
Application Deadline: N/A