Website City of San José
Candidates must be willing to work frequent evenings and weekends, and as exempt management employees, are not eligible for overtime compensation.
Employees in this classification are not members of the classified civil service and are appointed “at will.” Each appointment is for a specified period to be determined by the appointing Councilmember and does not extend past the end of the elected official’s or appointing authority’s term. This unclassified position requires a disclosure of outside investments, real property interest, income, and business positions.
- Gathering background information relative to issues pending before the City Council especially as it relates to Housing issues.
- Analyzing a wide variety of materials on assigned projects, programs, and topics
- Preparation or assisting in preparation of speeches, articles, or other communications for the Council Member
- Responding to constituent inquiries and issues, resolving complaints, and interpreting operating policies for residents of the community and other interested parties
- Attending and representing the Councilmember at City-related meetings and activities, meeting with governmental agencies, private industry, and related meetings
- Coordinating arrangements for community meetings, events, and programs
- Performs other duties of a similar nature or level as required
- A BA/BS in Political Science, Public Policy, Public Administration, Communications, or closely related field is required.
- Knowledge of Public Administration; management, and administrative methods; budgeting, land use, housing policy, customer/constituent relations, etc.
- Previous experience working for a Councilmember or elected official desirable.
- Proficiency in the use of software applications such as Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel, Outlook. Experience with Salesforce desirable.
- Familiarity and knowledge of the District community will be an asset to the office.
- Ability to effectively plan workflow and manage multiple projects to deliver quality products in a timely manner evidenced through strong organizational, administration, and management skills.
- Ability to express themselves clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing (email, letters, report writing and editing).
- Skill in research techniques and applications – collecting, compiling, analyzing, and interpreting data.
- Strong work ethic, professionalism, flexibility.
- Ability to communicate effectively with others and facilitate groups to achieve common objectives; understand and identify key issues and make recommendations in complex situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with others and to provide excellent service to internal and external customers, stakeholders and colleagues.
- Ability to present yourself in a professional and effective manner.
- Ability to work in a team environment and work as an effective team contributor.
- Demonstrate ability to work independently, prioritize work, and independently manage multiple, diverse, and competing
Company: City of San José
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Others
Job Location: San Diego, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A