Website City of McAllen
Under general direction, the Heavy Equipment Operator II operates and maintains solid waste collection heavy equipment to include automated side-load trucks, dumpster side-load trucks, front-end load dumpster trucks, and sweepers on assigned routes; grapple roll-off trucks, front-end grapple loader, and various composting heavy equipment. Employee has no supervisory responsibilities of personnel and must abide by all safety rules and operational policies and procedures
- Inspects vehicles and equipment daily for proper mechanical functioning and performs minor and preventive maintenance on the equipment.
- Transports collected garbage, recyclables, brush, debris and other materials to appropriate disposal sites.
- Maintains a record of the equipment and route operations.
- Assist other personnel in the department whenever necessary.
- Position requires driving and operating packer-type heavy equipment used in solid waste collection as assigned.
- Performs and completes assigned solid waste collection route(s) within allotted time period.
Work involves operating a piece of equipment, normally from a sitting position, as well as frequent physical labor.
Works outdoors and works some unusual hours, irregular hours or shifts, with hazards which may result in lost time.
Must have a general knowledge of subject area to perform effectively, with little direct supervision – various work situations having deviations and irregularities.
Must possess the skill to operate light and heavy equipment and vehicles.
Must have ability to work well with others.
Must be able to operate equipment safely and efficiently.
Must have ability to communicate (read/write) in English; bilingual skills in English and Spanish preferred. Physical Requirements
Must be able to work in extreme heat and cold weather environments.
Qualification & Experience:
- Job requires an accredited high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Job requires at least three (3) years of related work experience.
Company: City of McAllen
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: McAllen, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A