Website City of McAllen
Under general supervision, the Fire Emergency Communications Specialist receives emergency and non-emergency calls for information and assistance via the telephone and/or radio. The Fire-ECS directs calls to an immediate source of assistance, maintains a constant status information on all fire and emergency medical units, operates complex computer and network functions, telephone equipment, radios, recording devices, E-911 PSAP and other technical equipment. The employee monitors activities in several areas for several areas of the complex for security. This position has access to highly sensitive materials and is responsible for security of that information. Most job duties are performed on demand, with multiple simultaneous task demands probable. High liability, high stress factors predominant. This position is in an emergency operations environment which will require to work shift work.
Monitors radio/telephone recording equipment, 911 PSAP (Public Safety Answering Point), land, mobile, radio communications systems, computer network devices, building fire alarm system, printers, and emergency back up equipment.
Prints and checks activity summaries for fire shift, maintains up to date information for the safety of emergency personnel as well as the community at large.
Maintains close contact with field units and communicates with agency employees, law enforcement agencies, emergency service providers, and the general public to obtain and disseminate information in a timely accurate manner.
Provides emergency assistance in incidents posing threats to the safety and well-being of fire units or the general public while exercising sound judgement and resourcefulness.
Answers all incoming telephone calls including calls for emergency and non-emergency for fire service
Assess and prioritizes calls and determine course of action and condition and time frames, which must be met to ensure effective service and safety according to established Fire Department standards. Directs each call to a source of assistance according to specific call type.
Performs transactions through telecommunications networks including TLETS/ NLETS and TCIC/NCIC, requiring specific control and security.
Monitors multiple radio frequencies simultaneously and maintains fire unit status information on all fire units assigned to these frequencies.
Determines and dispatches field response fire units adequately and provides specific information via radio transmissions to ensure effective and timely service
Monitors and makes appropriate notifications of activities requiring Emergency Management intervention.
Responsible for communicating with city department heads in the event of a natural disaster or emergency to ensure that all agencies involved are kept up to date on incoming information.
Receives and dispatches after hour calls for various other units in the city.
Monitors audio and video equipment to other areas of the building and fire stations for security purposes.
- Job requires the ability to deal effectively with various types of people under varying circumstances.
- Job requires knowledge of law enforcement and fire computer database and telecommunications systems and dissemination.
- Job requires the ability to understand and speak both English and Spanish.
- Job requires the ability to distinguish colors.
- Job requires typing accurately.
- Job requires manipulative and multi-tasking abilities.
- Must successfully pass the state required tele-communications course within one (1) year of employment.
- Job requires effective communications skills, both oral and written.
- Job requires the applicant possess knowledge of the physical layout of the City and surrounding jurisdictions.
- Job requires a current, valid Texas Class C driver’s license.
- Job requires knowledge of fire department response procedures and knowledge of federal and state communications standards.
- Job requires the applicant possess basic telephone courtesy and functional knowledge. Tact and resourcefulness are very demanding in this job.
Qualification & Experience:
- One (1) year experience in public safety telecommunication or special schooling in the field preferred.
Company: City of McAllen
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: McAllen, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A