Website City of Huntington Beach
The fundamental reason for the existence of this classification is to receive and transmit information in the Police Communications Center via telephone, radio calls, written and coded information using a computer aided dispatch system (CADS).
- Under immediate supervision, operates a computer aided dispatch system to send police units in response to emergency calls and other public service needs; determines priorities of all calls and prioritizes responses when police units are needed in a number of situations which exceed available units; evaluates situations to determine appropriate units to dispatch based on availability, priority and location of units; dispatches backup units if appraisal of situation suggests the need for such support or is requested by officers; with the aid of detailed maps may direct the police units to locations; obtains required information in discussion with emergency caller; uses Orange County radio system in dispatching units; performs complaint writer function which requires receiving telephone and radio calls and typing information including codes into the CADS to create a call for service; monitors Police Building entrances on audio and visual security systems to prevent unauthorized entrance; transfers emergency information to other agencies based on information extracted from the caller; performs other related duties as assigned.
Communication Operators receive and record calls on the Public Safety Computer system, dispatch police units to emergency and public service calls. There is a high premium placed on the accuracy and speed of information gathering and maturity in decision making of employees in the Communications Center. Cooperative work relationships are essential.
- Ability to understand complex instructions which are presented orally or in writing; read street maps and quickly find locations; quickly evaluate an emergency situation and develop logical working solutions; keep up with fast pace of incoming calls and transmitted information; successfully perform multi-tasking duties; speak clearly and confidently; gain cooperation and cooperate with others; apply procedures for handling unique problems; exercise good judgment with memory for details; recognize and keep information confidential; be reliable and dependable; read, comprehend, interpret and utilize instructions, manuals and other materials applicable to this area; work all assigned shifts, including weekends and holidays; provide quality customer service.
Qualification & Experience:
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Must be currently working, or have worked in the last 24 months, as a public safety dispatcher in a California law enforcement agency AND have completed two (2) years of employment, including successful completion of the probationary period.
- Must be available to work ALL assigned shifts, weekends and holidays; Pass comprehensive background investigation and psychological examination.
- Must type 40 words per minute (net). A typing certificate, as described below, must be turned in at or before the oral exam. You may submit a copy of your typing certificate to: [email protected]
Company: City of Huntington Beach
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Other
Job Location: Huntington Beach, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A