City of Charlotte
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
- Must be able to work assigned shifts, including holidays, and reports back to work during emergencies, urgent situations, special events and inclement weather. Shifts are generally divided into first, second, and third shift hours to cover a 24/7 operation. Hours are subject to change based on operational need. Overtime may be offered and/or mandated when needed.
- This position is deemed essential and employees are subject to mandatory overtime. This position is not eligible for teleworking.
- Must successfully pass and maintain an active Security Threat Assessment (STA) and Criminal History Records Check (CHRC). Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude from employment.
- Valid driver license in state of residence and maintain a City driving permit.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Skills to communicate clearly and effectively verbally in person, over telephone and two-way radio.
- Skills to communicate clearly and effectively in writing.
- Skills to effectively organize data and prioritize resources during routine and special operations.
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other agencies, tenants, employees and the public, representing CLT in a professional, positive manner.
- Ability to respond calmly and effectively in emergency and stressful situations. Must be able to assess situations quickly, objectively and determine the proper course of action within established rules, regulations and procedures.
Conditions of Employment
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking an accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to [email protected]
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.