City of Aurora, CO
The hiring range for this position is:
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we’re growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of:
Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
The City of Aurora is seeking a Legal Secretary to perform routine secretarial duties related to the preparation and processing of legal documents for the Criminal Justice Division of the City Attorney’s Office.
- Types a variety of legal documents including correspondence, memoranda, legal pleadings, briefs, forms, and reports
- Performs data entry on a Linux Environment/Computer System
- Gather data and create statistical reports
- Initiates, develops, maintains, and closes legal case filings
- Processes paperwork from incarcerated defendants, warrants, State Motor Vehicle, process servers, and court personnel
- Files legal documents and correspondence
- Answer telephone inquiries from defense attorneys, the general public, and other agencies and officials
- Prepares and processes dockets, setting slips, personal service, and subpoenas
- Maintains legal library
- Downloads police body worn cameras, 911 calls and other digital evidence to CD’s and flash drives for discovery
- Performs additional duties as assigned
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- High school diploma or equivalent (GED) required
- At least three (3) years of related technical and administrative support experience
- Experience in a legal office preferred
- General office procedures
- Legal terminology
- Legal forms
- Personal computers including related word processing software applications
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Typing at a minimum rate of 50 net words per minute
- The use of personal computers including related word processing software
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Excel
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, citizens and elected officials
- Maintain effective working relationships with individuals who encompass different or difficult personalities
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
- Multi-task and prioritize work while effectively managing multiple projects with deadlines
- Retain events and communications had that occurred throughout the day in order to record and gather the information for proper documentation
- Work well in a fast-paced environment with constant interruptions by callers, visitors and colleagues
- Adapt to a rapidly changing environment while learning new skills
- Absorb multiple situations and people
- When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.
- Light physical work lifting 20 pounds at a time with frequent lifting or carrying of objects.
- Occasional walking and standing
- Frequent hand/eye coordination to operate computer keyboard and office equipment
- Vision sufficient to read computer screens, reports, and related department documents
- Dexterity to operate computer keyboards and other related office equipment
- Endurance sufficient to sit and work at a computer for extended periods of time
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Cognitive ability to multi-task consistently
- Emotional intelligence to deal with people in a challenging front facing customer service role
- Work primarily in a clean and comfortable environment
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including computer, calculator, multi-line telephones, copy/fax machines
- Frequently answers telephone
- This position may require the incumbent to use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans Preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.