Website City of Anaheim
The City of Anaheim Finance Department seeks a dynamic and customer service oriented Accountant to manage the City’s Accounts Payables operation. Under the direction of the Senior Accountant, the Accountant will manage the City’s Accounts Payable section and its staff, interacting with internal customers and external vendors, recording and monitoring Accounts Payable transactions, and ensuring that proper and established accounting policies and procedures are followed.
- Supervise accounts payable staff while maintaining accounting and administrative controls over the function; review weekly accounts payable checks to accrue payments due to year-end closing; interact with vendors, contractors, auditors, and City representatives on accounts payable related issues.
- Prepare complete, accurate, and timely financial statements and reports for management staff, auditors, regulatory agencies, and financial institutions.
- Prepare adjusting entries for all outstanding City debts; review and reconcile liability accounts.
- Respond to inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
- Conduct and monitor the posting, balancing, and reconciliation of the general ledger and subsidiary accounts; examine all accounting transactions to ensure accuracy; correct financial records as necessary; summarize and compile reports based on transactions.
- Maintain computerized spreadsheets of financial transactions; prepare journal entries for posting to the general ledger.
- Audit and reconcile accounts payable documents.
- Ensure proper and established accounting policies and procedures are followed
- Coordinate the retention and management of financial accounting files and documents; maintain an inventory of finance and accounting records.
- Participate in establishing uniform accounting policies and procedures.
- Assist in the development and implementation of policies and priorities related to the activities of the accounts payable section.
- Provide complete and accurate financial reports; verify and test financial data; prepare interim financial narrative reports explaining variances with graphic and analysis ratios.
- Conduct the posting, balancing, and reconciliation of purchasing card transactions.
- Prepare, review, and issue 1099 forms and manage sales & use tax related issues.
- Perform related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Prepare and verify adjusted journal entries for corrected financial reports; review and interpret financial results with narrative explanations, ratio analyses and graphic reports.
- Experience and Education: Two (2) years of responsible professional accounts payable accounting experience supplemented by a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration, or a related field.
- Ability to: Accurately apply accounting principles to financial and accounting transactions; prepare, examine and verify financial statements, reports and analyses; apply deductive reasoning to effectively solve problems; analyze, post, balance, and reconcile financial data, ledgers and accounts; analyze and interpret financial data; understand the organization and operation of the City and of outside agencies as necessary to assume assigned responsibilities; understand, interpret, and apply general and specific administrative and departmental policies and procedures as well as applicable federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations; prepare clear and concise reports; plan and organize work to meet changing priorities and deadlines; effectively represent the City to outside individuals and agencies to accomplish the goals and objectives of the unit; work cooperatively with other departments, City officials, and outside agencies; respond tactfully, clearly, concisely, and appropriately to inquiries from the public, City staff, or other agencies on sensitive issues in area of responsibility; perform multiple tasks concurrently; operate office equipment including computers and supporting word processing, spreadsheet, and database applications; work independently in the absence of supervision; understand and follow oral and written instructions; communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; and establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Knowledge of: Generally accepted accounting principles and procedures and their application to a variety of accounting transactions and problems; general fund and cash management principles and procedures; principles of financial reporting and account classification; pertinent State regulations related to unclaimed moneys and City publication policies; principles and practices of public agency financial management including general and governmental accounting, budgeting, auditing, and reporting functions; automated financial management systems; principles and procedures of record keeping; principles of business letter writing and report preparation; office procedures, methods, and equipment including computers and applicable software applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and databases; pertinent federal, state and local laws, codes and regulations.
Company: City of Anaheim
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Anaheim, CA, US
Application Deadline: N/A