Website Chicago Public Schools
Chicago Public Schools (CPS) is one of the largest school districts in the United States, serving over 330,000 students in 600+ schools and employing nearly 36,000 people, most of them teachers. CPS has set ambitious goals to ensure that every student, in every school and every neighborhood, has access to a world-class learning experience that prepares each for success in college, career, and civic life. In order to fulfill this mission, we make three commitments to our students, their families, and all Chicagoans: academic progress, financial stability, and integrity. Six core values are embedded within these commitments – student-centered, whole child, equity, academic excellence, community partnership, and continuous learning.
The Office of Internal Audit and Compliance (IAC) provides assurance and advisory services through independent and objective reviews to continuously improve systems and processes across the district that better prepare every child for success in college, career, and civic life.
- Utilizes CPS tools and processes to develop and manage project plans and task assignments for all resources.
- Assists in the identification of those activities subject to audit coverage, evaluates their significance and assesses the degree of risk inherent in the activity in terms of materiality, cost and schedule.
- Executes the financial, operational and compliance audits throughout the organization.
- Prepares audit reports for the assigned project; participates in communication with management about reports and related issues and recommendations.
- Assists Internal Audit management in the development and maintenance of stakeholder relationships.
- Ensures individual audits meet business requirements, and are completed on-time and within budget.
- Reviews deliverables prepared by Internal Audit before passing to Leadership for final review.
- Leads discussions to obtain detailed understanding of business or functional area processes, systems and applications.
- Ensures all project documentation is developed and kept current (i.e. audit programs).
- Monitors accomplishment of objectives directed toward increasing Internal Audit’s ability to serve management in a professional, efficient and effective manner.
- Enacts thorough and practical knowledge of audit methodology techniques.
- Performs audit engagements by reviewing organizational and functional activities to ensure risks are appropriately identified, associated audit procedures are applied and related controls are designed and operating to mitigate the identified risks.
- Maintains professional certifications and related educational requirements as well as other duties assigned by the Audit Manager/Supervisor.
- Proven ability in audit planning and execution, including risk assessment, process, control evaluation, and drafting audit reports with summary results for executives.
- Working knowledge and experience with auditing tools and other software such as, Audit Control Language, Google Drive, MS Word, MS Excel, PowerPoint and Visio.
- Thorough understanding of the International Professional Practices Framework (IPPF) promulgated by the IIA.
- Effective communication, leadership, and time management skills with the ability to act autonomously while being a team player.
Demonstrates a sense of urgency in accomplishing goals and objectives to ensure success.
- Ability to partner with Management in support of key initiatives and projects.
- Experience working with large ERP systems (Oracle, PeopleSoft) is helpful.
- Able to act independently and be self-motivated.
- Ability to effectively and professionally communicate complex business topics to Management via reports, memos, and verbal communication.
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to details.
- Demonstrated skill in leading audit projects involving two or more staff members.
- Experience documenting business process flows.
- Broad business acumen – ability to engage in a wide variety of business discussions and quickly learn new and/or complex concepts.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Minimum of two (2) years experience with either a “Big 4” accounting firm, a mid-level accounting firm, and/or a large corporation’s internal audit department.
- Experience in education and the public sector is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, finance, economics, or related field.
- Active certification as a Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), or other internal audit related certifications, preferred.
Company: Chicago Public Schools
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Information Technology
Job Location: Chicago, IL, US
Application Deadline: N/A