The State of California is an equal opportunity employer to all, regardless of age, ancestry, color, disability (mental and physical), exercising the right to family care and medical leave, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, military or veteran status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religious creed, sex (includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), and sexual orientation.
It is an objective of the State of California to achieve a drug-free work place. Any applicant for state employment will be expected to behave in accordance with this objective because the use of illegal drugs is inconsistent with the law of the State, the rules governing Civil Service, and the special trust placed in public servants.
- Eligibility for hire is determined by your score on the Caltrans Highway Maintenance Worker Exam. You must be on the state examination list to be eligible for these positions. The Caltrans Highway Maintenance Worker Exam is located here: https://www.calcareers.ca.gov/CalHrPublic/Exams/Bulletin.aspx?examCD=0PB29
- Under the direction of a Caltrans Maintenance Supervisor, Lead worker or other qualified crew member, the Caltrans Highway Maintenance Worker performs miscellaneous labor while performing duties associated with maintaining the State highway system. The incumbent must possess a valid Class “C” Driver’s License. The incumbent may be required to work overtime including nights and weekends, may be required to work temporary and/or intermittent varied work shifts, and may respond to emergency calls. May be loaned to other cost centers.This position is represented under collective bargaining.
- The incumbent keeps records such as pre and post operation reports on equipment operated; repair requests, crew/time reporting forms, and material and fuel usage forms. The incumbent will perform pre and post operation checks; make minor and/or emergency repairs and adjustments to equipment; and be required to clean equipment and tools, and crew and work areas at the conclusion of work shift.
- The incumbent will perform manual labor, operate light equipment, and power and hand tools while performing duties such as paving, pot-holing and crack-sealing; drain and ditch cleaning; sign and delineation installation, maintenance and repair; landscape irrigation and maintenance; brush and tree trimming; storm clean-up; litter and graffiti removal; traffic control; and other related duties.Traffic control duties may include setting and picking up lane closures using traffic cones, flares and advance warning signs; hand-flagging traffic; and operating a pilot vehicle, back-up truck and cone truck.
- The position(s) may require medical evaluation clearance prior to being hired.
- The position(s) require a valid and unrestricted Class C Driver’s License.
- The position(s) may require an audiogram clearance prior to being hired.
- The position(s) require(s) a Drug Screening be passed prior to being hired.
Qualification & Experience:
- Applications will be screened and only the most qualified applicants will be selected to move forward in the selection process. Applicants must meet the Minimum Qualifications stated in the Classification Specification(s).
Company: California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE)
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Riverside, CA , US
Application Deadline: N/A