As we move America’s workforce toward the future, Amtrak connects businesses and communities across the country. We employ more than 20,000 diverse, energetic professionals in a variety of career fields throughout the United States. The safety of our passengers, our employees, the public and our operating environment is our priority, and the success of our railroad is due to our employees.
Are you ready to join our team?
Our values of ‘Do the Right Thing, Excel Together and Put Customers First’ are at the heart of what matters most to us, and our Core Capabilities, ‘Building Trust, Accountability, Effective Communication, Customer Focus, and Proactive Safety & Security’ are what every employee needs to know and do to be most impactful at Amtrak. By living the Amtrak values, focusing on our capabilities, and actively embracing and fostering diverse ideas, backgrounds, and perspectives, together we will honor our past and make Amtrak a company of the future.
- Lineman Trainees are responsible for the construction, maintenance, and installation of high voltage transmission, catenary, and signal transmission systems.
- Duties include attaching appurtenances, relocate lines away from existing lines, shift poles requiring new foundations, install anchors and foundations, shift under traffic, move poles with wires attached, splice existing appurtenances, and install new foundations and certain designated power lines and signal transmission systems.
- Ability to pass required training with written exams including two weeks of safety training and required department training modules over a 24-month period to progress to qualified lineman.
- Applicants must be able to perform basic mathematical computations including fractions and decimals.
- Must be able to obtain CDL license within 90 days of hire date.
- Applicants must have a valid driver’s license on the date of hire.
- Must read, write, & speak the English language clearly and have the ability to communicate using telephone and radio.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years of age and a high school graduate or GED equivalent.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years’ experience in heavy physical labor.
- Basic climbing, rigging, and lineman experience is a plus.
- Basic mechanical aptitude and knowledge of hand tools.
- Electronic/electrical background or education is a plus.
- Previous electric traction railroad experience preferred.
- Applicants must be able and willing to understand and apply safety rules, practice safe work habits, identify safety risks and avoid potentially risky behaviors and situations.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Functions: Truck Transportation
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Job Category: Government
Application Deadline: N/A