The Lead System Safety Specialist will develop, direct and support division-wide field implementation of Amtrak Safety programs, rules, policies, and procedures in conjunction with Amtrak’s System Safety Program and applicable regulatory requirements. This position provides technical safety-related oversight, guidance and support to division(s), departments, and contractor stakeholders to eliminate injuries/accidents and reduce workplace risk.
- Monitors field utilization of safety, health, injury and accident/injury prevention programs, initiatives and activities.
- Participates in the development and execution of local and site-specific safety activities/initiatives and the implementation of corporate safety practices, policies and programs.
- Oversees/directs regional testing of personal protective equipment and safety-related products, including implementation of Amtrak’s prescription eyewear program. Performs locomotive engineer, yard/train crew and facility noise exposure evaluations, data retrieval, transmittal and result notifications as required.
- Primarily supports Engineering field safety initiatives and provides support as needed to regional Transportation, Engineering or Customer Service teams. Utilizes Operations department environmental and industrial hygiene resources when required.
- Leads regional efforts to identify opportunities to improve passenger safety. Develops and implements programs to reduce/eliminate passenger accidents and injuries. Performs station safety assessments in accordance with the requirements of 49 CFR part 270.
- Performs qualitative and quantitative risk assessments and utilizes safety assessments, accident/injury trend analyses, safety performance data and input from other groups to identify potential safety deficiencies and corrective actions.
- Maintains a working liaison with regulatory agencies, advocacy organizations, and contractors.
- Partners with division, regional and departmental staff in accident/injury and near miss investigations, risk reduction initiatives and hazard elimination analyses. Participates in the investigation of major rail incidents.
- Provides guidance and support to VP IMCS, AVPs IMCS, Deputy Chief Engineers, Division Engineers, Directors, Assistant Division Engineers, Managers Production, Construction Managers, and
- Project Manager with applicable OSHA and FRA safety regulations, and Amtrak rules, safety policies, programs, procedures and initiatives.
- Performs verification of implementation of and compliance with Amtrak safety programs through the critical self-assessment (CSA) program.
- Partners with labor/management and local safety committees to identify and eliminate potential safety hazards and to adhere to safety policies, programs and procedures.
- Working knowledge of OSHA and FRA safety regulations, policies, programs, as well as personal protective equipment, safety engineering, accident/injury investigation procedures and operating rules, Amtrak safety rules and practices; experienced with behavior-based and/or risk reduction safety programs; able to develop Site Specific Work Plans and Job Safety Analyses
- Excellent presentation and oral, written and presentation communication skills
- Effective facilitation, coordination, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent management and leadership skills
- Strong knowledge of safety regulations, policies and programs; injury prevention programs; personal protective safety equipment
- Ability to analyze, interpret, summarize, communicate, and act on quantitative and qualitative data
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Demonstrated abilities to interface and coordinate with stakeholders, including division and department management, supervision and labor as well as regulators, vendors and contractors
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Operations Management, Business Administration, Engineering, Transportation or equivalent, OR equivalent combination of education and experience required, including 6+ years relevant work experience
- Five years’ experience in a railroad-related capacity or position
Vacancy Type: Internship
Job Functions: Engineering
Job Location: Philadelphia, PA, US
Job Category: Government
Application Deadline: N/A